Thursday, March 17, 2016

Abandoned Winn Dixie! - Enterprise, AL



Location: 705 Boll Weevil Circle, Enterprise, Ala.

Well! I haven't updated this in a while, but let's get right to it, shall we?
I had to go out of town on Sunday and while driving back from Birmingham, I ate at a Popeye's in Enterprise. A 1970s-era Winn Dixie store caught my eye almost instantly. This place had it all.


A "The Beef People" labelscar, drab beige colours on the outside, it was a sweet release for my travel-weary brain. When I finished eating, I sauntered over there and discovered that they were presently clearing out the building. The foreman, I think, was a drunk grey-haired man of about fifty who had no shirt on. To each his own, I guess. Looking at a news article, the place had closed February 10th. It was pretty much empty by the time I got there. Magazine racks were being tossed to the curb and being sold, as well as scrap metal.



Now the decor, don't even get me started. I have never and will likely never see a store like this again. It appears just like the façade, the interior seemed to had not been updated since  the 1970s to the 1980s, likely since its opening. Above the doorway was diagonal wood paneling, another common trope of 1970s architectural design. There was a labelscar on it as well.

"Winn-Dixie... America's Supermarket"

There was one department in particular, though, that caught my eye. In fact, it was the only department in the whole store. It was both the Deli and the Bakery, which I have never seen together in one space before. Now, say what you will, but me blindly walking into an abandoned store that was open, had electricity, and had not been updated since a period of, in my opinion, the best colour schemes and design choices in history was like walking into heaven. 

"Deli - Bakery"


These colours are perfect. The tiles are perfect. This place is amazing. This was definitely a substantial find, and all by accident. Hopefully those fossils of decor will be reused again for something else. Anyway, I have nothing else to say. See ya on the flipside!


(I think this guy was haggling someone about some scrap metal)

No comments:

Post a Comment